Your guide to Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
After a long wait, Mobile Number Portability has finally arrived. Here’s your guide to Mobile Number Portability (MNP)
The much awaited mobile number portability (MNP), which allows subscribers to change their mobile operators while retaining their old number, will be launched today across India.
What is mobile number portability: Allows subscriber to opt for service provider of his choice but retain his mobile number. The number gets ported to the new provider
Does it allow a technology switch? Subscriber can stay with same technology, GSM/CDMA. Also change to CDMA or vice-versa. Both postpaid & prepaid subscribers can use it
How long will it take to port a number? Seven working days. Fifteen days in J&K and the North-east
How expensive? Will cost Rs 19, to be collected by new service provider
Can you retain your number in another city? No. You can’t change circles
How frequently can you switch service providers? A subscriber must be with a provider for at least three months
Can Post-paid users apply for Mobile Number Portability? Post paid mobile user can apply for MNP after clearing all dues to their earlier operator.
- To switch, send the following text PORT <space> mobile number to 1900
- You’ll get an eight-digit alphanumeric code and expiry date for it. This is the unique porting code
- Approach service provider you have opted for with unique code.
- Carry address & ID proof/ photograph/ application form with unique code & mobile number. Complete this process within the expiry date that came with unique code
- Operator will take request to mobile portability clearing house.
- Clearing house will get your number deactivated from existing provider and activate new one
- You’ll then get text from new provider mentioning date and time when phone will go through a no-service period
- This is when switching of service providers will happen.
- Phone will be out of use for a couple of hours between 12pm and 5am strong social and ecological emphasis.