Derby fashion decoded: What to wear to the races!
Manoviraj Khosla shares with us few tips on how to look your fashionable best on the racing day.
The Derby’s are an extremely fashionable event where everyone dresses up in fancy hats and dapper suits and sit in sparkling grandstands while betting on the horses. The Kingfisher Derby is the second biggest derby event in the country right after the Indian Derby, Mumbai. So if you're going to the Derby on Sunday, make sure you're familiar with the Derby fashion. Bangalore-based designer Manoviraj Khosla shares with us few tips on how to look your fashionable best on the racing day.
- Women can pair simple dresses in spring colors with their Derby hats. Stick to classic shapes and styles to keep you looking fresh and stylish. You can wear wide-brimmed, hats decorated with baubles, flowers and feathers. But make sure it matches your outfit!
- Wear dresses in light fabrics which are well-tailored, nothing too voluminous. Choose fruity colours like mint green, peachy pink, canary yellow and pistachio green. Keep the reds and maroons away!
- Denim is generally not acceptable. But if you plan to wear denims, pair it with a stylish floral top and a killer pair of heels.
- Another Derby staple for women is pearls! Choose the classic white or colored pearls; it instantly adds a touch of grace to any outfit.
- And finally bring out those wayfarers, aviators and flaunt the diva in you!
- Men should ideally wear suits - any color goes at the Derby. Men's Derby hats are generally solid in color and in styles that are reminiscent of the 20’s. The bowler hat or the fedora can be worn for both formal as well as casual occasions. But don’t pick bright colours, stick to grays and browns.
- And if you don’t want to wear suits, wear smart casuals. A crisp cotton shirt in a pastel shade with silhouetted pants or denims will look great. But make sure it’s fashionable and not dowdy; pair it with good formal shoes.
- Also linens are in! A well-tailored linen suit with soft colored shirt would be a great look to carry on the Derby day.
- If you want to wear Indian clothing, wear Jodhpur pants with a well-fitted t-shirt. Again keep the colours simple, don’t mix and match.
- Don’t over accessorize! Don’t wear loud accessories or bright colored shoes. If you want to add a splash of colour to your outfit, do so by wearing a nice tie or a belt.